top of page

Glenavon 5-1 Ballinamallard

Two quickfire goals at the start of the second half for Glenavon effectively ended the game as a contest as Ballinamallard's winning run came to an end.

The first half was a pulsating affair, full of end to end action with a dollop of drama thrown in for good measure.

The home side took the lead with only 9 minutes on the clock when new signing Daniel Kearns neatly controlled Andy Hall's cross from the right, and poked past Alvin Rouse in the Ballinamallard goal.

The Mallards were looking dangerous going forward however and drew level on 17 minutes when Jason McCartney converted his penalty high into the roof of the net after Simon Kelly had been penalised for a handball by referee Ian McNabb.

Declan O'Brien struck back however on 25 minutes for his first of the afternoon. The goal was almost a carbon copy of the first, with a great delivery from the right and the frontman nicked in first to divert the ball into the net.

Kearns was perhaps lucky to remain on the pitch but was yellow carded for an off the ball incident with Emmet Friars, whilst Glenavon should have made it three before the half time whistle, however Rouse brilliantly denied O'Brien from the spot.

Goals three and four did arrive however on 48 and 50 minutes with O'Brien sealing his hat trick. The first was a free header from a corner and the second from another superb delivery down the right flank.

In truth, the Mallards struggled to get going thereafter with Glenavon holding a comfortable 3 goal lead but there was more misery before the end of the game when Alvin Rouse was shown a straight red card for catching Andy McGrory in the chest with his boot. With all 3 subs used, that left Leon Carters to don the gloves, but he was unable to keep out Gary Hamilton's penalty for the fifth.

Elsewhere the seconds lost 4-2 to Glenavon Reserves whilst the thirds recorded their first loss of the season having been defeated 2-1 by Carrick Rangers.

Recent Posts
bottom of page